TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - not my experience
People Seeking Info

Subject not my experience

Posted by Adam (NoVA) on December 28, 2015 at 10:13 AM
  This message has been viewed 399 times.

In Reply To all the feedback I have seen form car guys on those cars is posted by LJZTT on December 27, 2015 at 07:42 PM

Message I bought mine, a 2015 BRZ Limited with Option Pkg 2 (aka all the bells & whistles) for $24k with 10500 miles on it. Since Thanksgiving, it has been my daily driver.

It is the best handling factory car *I've* driven & puts my lightly modified S14 to shame. My S14 "feels" faster, but it also has an exhaust, lightened pulley & flywheel. Suspension wise, the s14 has lots of Kazama solid suspension arms, sway bars, loads chassis bracing, tokicko shocks & RS*R springs. So by lightly modified I mean NOT coilovers & SR20DET swap.

I strongly considered a Lotus Elise, but after riding in a friends modified MRS (who also owns an Elise) on the Tail of the Dragon, the driving dynamics were so different from the front engine platforms I've grown up with, I decided to save a few $$$ and get the BRZ. A little heavier, but a little easier to work on and should be cheaper to modify/maintain.

I'll probably go forced induction in early 16, which will change things dramatically. The car just lacks for low end torque and absolutely begs to be revved to 7k. I installed a Tomei unequal length header, which did help smooth out the torque delivery around ~4k rpm, where the infamous torque dip occurs.

To be honest, there's a part of me that wants to leave it naturally aspirated - there is a genuine enjoyment from driving this car that I think might be lost once the supercharger is on it. You have to set your expectations appropriately when you get in. It's really a slow down and drive type of experience, if that makes any sense at all.

It may be best summed up in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzTTx__QRcg

And if you've made it this far, the truth is more suspension work, BBK, wheels, tires & forced induction are coming to the BRZ soon.

1993 Ultra Red Z32 TT Convertible
2011 Electric Blue D40
1997 Cobalt Green S14 (project fun 2.0)

The Z Car Club of Northern Virginia

"boobies have power" - Bernie(NoVA)

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.